Rag curling? I’ve never rag-curled in my life, but I decided this was the key to hedgehog success and I was going to try it.
Click “Read More” to see how I did this…
I cut my strips of cotton and rag curled my half-wig into tight little spirals, letting it set for about 3 days.
|This is just after I untied the rags, before the floofing.|
I don’t want to make it sound easy. Rag curling is mysterious, and I’m sure the clown-like result of my wig is due to not doing any of that curling right. That being said, it’s still CURLY…
When you take the rag curls out, you just run your fingers through the hair, fluffing and puffing, and pinning into shape. I left the back of the hair free of rags, to curl with a curling iron later, for the barrel curls that hang down the back, or over the shoulder.
|Bump-its, freed from their confinement.|
|You get three bump-its in a package|
I also got my mitts on some Bump-Its, and I have to tell you that they’re pretty darn cool. They are a lightweight, toothed rat, essentially, and you get three different sizes in a package. I got these from Sally Beauty Supply for $3.
|The back. Needs a little taming|
I just love the result of this wig. For as little hair as is actually on the wig cap (just one package of 18″ human hair wefts), it turns into tons when it’s all curled up, fluffed, and bumped.
You can see my real hair that will be blended into the front, but I need to color it to match the wiglet, and also tightly curl it too, before fluffing and blending.
|The front, my real hair, needs curling, and renewed color.|
You all should give this one a try because it’s really THAT easy. Things of note:
- Use real human hair wefts. They are more expensive than fake, yes, but it’s well worth it.
- Get enough hair. I wish I’d bought 2 packages instead of 1.
- The curls don’t have to be this tight. Next time I do this I’m going to try fatter curls on small curlers, or larger rag-ties.
- Try them Bump-Its, they’re fun.
- Lastly, this hair piece is very lightweight and cool, temperature-wise, compared to a full wig. It stays put extremely well and is very comfortable.