This has indeed been a weird, challenging, rough year. I think I’ve left my house, like, 20 times max for 10 months. During this time I feel I sewed very little, but when I look back on what I’ve made I’m quite surprised by how much I accomplished, particularly with nowhere to go.
It’s perhaps because of being home significantly more, although motivation, inspiration, and energy were and are at an all-time low. Still, sewing helps look forward to and believe in a better future, so with that, here are the things I made this year, somehow…
I made an enormous petticoat for the 1630s outfit. Not very impressive, and only one piece of an ensemble as yet unfinished, but it technically qualifies as a finished garment. Also – dat ass.
After returning from Portugal and Spain, I finished the 1630s “lobster-bumble-bee” bodies. I *love* this project and its crazy construction, and I really need to pick up the additional ensemble pieces again.
By this time we were all fully working from home. For whatever reason – maybe trying to recapture some sense of control – I tackled a whole bunch of UFOs, including these two 1930s dresses:
|Simplicity 8248 (modern)
|Simplicity 3280 1930s frock
The next is original vintage Simplicity 3280 – late 1930s pattern. I adore original vintage patterns because they – gasp! – actually fit without having to remove 9 inches of easy. There were no issues with this dress; I’d just never finished it. I’m glad I finally did, though, because I adore it.
|Truly Victorian TV494 1894 Blouse.
Lastly for April was this 1890s linen blouse – Truly Victorian TV494. I love it, but struggled a bit with it, and honestly don’t wear it all too often…it’s a little short and a little constricting, but it’s pretty fabulous style-wise. Looks great with a vest, too. I made a video about making this dress too, which you can watch here.
|Simplicity 8578 Robe a la Francaise
The next finished garment was another UFO – the 1760s Robe a la Francaise from Simplicity 8578, with some alterations and corrections. I’m super-duper proud of this gown, one for actually picking it back up and pushing through to the end (so.much.trim!), and two because I just feel so so so pretty in it. It’s my gown for Someday-Versailles, and I can’t wait to wear it out!
A totally-new make of 2020, I threw together a black silk 1790s “Vigee-Lebrun” round gown from Simplicity S8941 in one weekend (though fixing the sleeves the following the week), for Halloween. This was also an opportunity to test out and make tweaks to this Simplicity pattern, so I can share those notes with you all.
As for the rest of the year 2020 – November and December, I worked on a few things but didn’t complete anything. Those projects will have to wait for next year!