We're official one month away from the release of our second book, "The American Duchess Guide to 18th Century Beauty" !
This time last year we were sewing, styling, and photographing with alacrity on new projects for a companion volume to our first book, "The American Duchess Guide to 18th Century Dressmaking."
|The new book includes new patterns and instructions for caps, like this organza 1785 "jellyfish" cap.|
|Big Hair, Don't Care - Laurie Tavan rocks the super-tall "donut" hairstyle from the 1770s. Learn how it was done the original way....|
Did women wear wigs? Did rats live in their hair? Did they all wear white lead makeup?
How were the frizzy hairstyles done? How long was tall hair actually in fashion? What is a pouf and a hedgehog really?
|What is pomade, how was it made, and how was it used? Original recipes, instructions, and tutorials for 18th century pomades, powders, rouge, and lip salve are all included.|
- Recipes and directions for making original 18th century hair products
- How to pomade and powder, crape, and papillote curl the hair
- Patterns and tutorials for making cushions for the tall and wide styles
- Step-by-step chapters for styling 8 historically correct hairstyles from 1750 - 1795, using original methods.
- Patterns and directions for creating caps, hats, bonnets, lappets, and poufs for each specific time period.
- Instructions for making hair pieces - the chignon, toupee, and buckles.
- Tutorials, tips, and tricks for working with different hair types.
- A boatload of research, footnotes, and fascinating tidbits.
Additionally, we worked with Cheyney McKnight to discuss African hair care and styling and how it related to 18th Century Western fashion.
|We work with different hair types and textures, and address ethnicity and cultural appropriation in the 18th century.|
"The American Duchess Guide to 18th Century Beauty" is available to order now from any major bookseller. Release/shipping date is July 9, 2019!
Order on Amazon
Order from AmericanDuchess.com for signed copies.
Order from Barnes & Noble