Larkin & Smith 1770s English Gown Progress

Last night I finally got back to work on the 1770s English gown. I’d only pleated the back and stitched one side down, before, but here’s what I did last night:

It’s amazing how something feels much closer to done when the skirt goes on, but I know I have a ton of finishing work waiting for me….

I don’t normally sew very fast, but this pattern is pretty amazing. The booklet makes it easy – just follow the steps and suddenly you have most of a gown put together!  There are a couple confusing parts, but I was glad I had a little experience with the pleating on the back (from my Revolution Dress), so I could fiddle through it alright.

No boning in the back yet, and no lining in the front, but it’s looking pretty good so far.

At this point there is no lining in the bodice front, no shoulder straps or sleeves obviously, and only one side of the skirt is pleated and attached. I still have a lot of work to do, but I’m really enjoying this project, so I hope it keeps going so well.

Tiny prick stitches attaching the front bodice to the back, and the skirt to the bodice. I love this type of stitch.

As to the sleeve trimmings, I’ve decided to go with the pinked flounces instead of the winged cuffs, so I can wear this gown in Williamsburg this Summer. 🙂 Yay!

17 Comments

Leave a Reply to Unknown Cancel reply

%d bloggers like this: