Last night I finally got back to work on the 1770s English gown. I’d only pleated the back and stitched one side down, before, but here’s what I did last night:
|It’s amazing how something feels much closer to done when the skirt goes on, but I know I have a ton of finishing work waiting for me….|
I don’t normally sew very fast, but this pattern is pretty amazing. The booklet makes it easy – just follow the steps and suddenly you have most of a gown put together! There are a couple confusing parts, but I was glad I had a little experience with the pleating on the back (from my Revolution Dress), so I could fiddle through it alright.
|No boning in the back yet, and no lining in the front, but it’s looking pretty good so far.|
At this point there is no lining in the bodice front, no shoulder straps or sleeves obviously, and only one side of the skirt is pleated and attached. I still have a lot of work to do, but I’m really enjoying this project, so I hope it keeps going so well.
|Tiny prick stitches attaching the front bodice to the back, and the skirt to the bodice. I love this type of stitch.|
As to the sleeve trimmings, I’ve decided to go with the pinked flounces instead of the winged cuffs, so I can wear this gown in Williamsburg this Summer. 🙂 Yay!