Woot! The first project of 2015 is complete, and piece #1 of my Robe a la Turque is ready.
|Refashioned red petticoat with apron|
This petticoat was once a sad, sad tube. It was too narrow and looked utterly ridiculous. What to do?
Rip it apart!
|Here’s what it originally looked like – way WAY too narrow|
I removed the dagged flounce from the hem, cut the dags off, and used the panels to add more width to the petticoat. What was once a meager 75″ hem (how the hell did I ever think that would work?) is now a proud 114.5″.
|Two panels on each side added plenty of fullness to the back|
Of course, this came with caveats.
The panels I filched from the hem flounce are cut on the opposite grain from the skirt panels, which means the light hits them differently than the other panels in the skirt. In total I added 5 panels, two on each side seam, and one down the center front. And the panels have extensions on them too, at the top, so this is one pieced out petti…
|The panels weren’t quite long enough, so I added extensions at the top. I chose the top because they would be better hidden by gowns or jackets than if placed at the hem.|
…but beggars can’t be choosers.
I would rather fix something and have it usable than have wasted the time, money, and fabric on something that just sits in my closet. So pieced out the wazoo on whatever grain, I don’t care. It’s now an excellent petticoat for use under a gown, as a foundation petticoat, or even on its own, worn with a skirted caraco and an apron to cover all my sins.
Plus it feels good to have accomplished something. Now on to the more complicated stuff!