V287: My 18th Century Pocket

So…I did make a pocket.  It only took me 7 months to complete because of my intrepid laziness when it comes to hand embroidery.

Luckily, flying on airplanes is a perfect time to embroider.  TSA allows scissors 4 inches or less, so I found some little Fiskars fold-ups at the craft store that worked perfectly, and packed all the pieces of the unfinished pocket into my carry-on.

It took me the whole two flights out to Virginia, but I got the thing done, binding, ties, and all, and was mighty grateful for it when it came time for playing dress-up.  Mom and I spent most of our be-costumed time digging around in our pockets for this or for that.

My pocket used the pattern from Colonial Williamsburg’s Costume Close-Up: Clothing Construction and Pattern, 1750-1790 , except that I mirrored the pattern, whereas the original is not perfectly symmetrical.  I also deviated greatly from color scheme and material – the original is ugly crewelwork (in my opinion), and mine is done with regular ole embroidery floss, in pinks, greens, and yellows.  It’s kindof “bright,” but that’s nothing a little dunk in a hot tea bath won’t fix.

That’s it, that’s all, that’s m’pocket. The end.


Leave a Reply

Discover more from American Duchess Blog

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading