Okay, so really this has *nothing* to do with lollipops, except a vague idea that lollipops and fluffy girly dresses go together….?
The other night I thought, “hey, I have all kinds of modern reproduction patterns for vintage dresses, why don’t I make one?” So I cut out Butterick 6582, a “vintage” 1960s dress with two views – I went for the poofy skirt one.
What a horrible pattern. It was ill-fated from the start. The neck was too high, as was the waist, and it just….didn’t…it’s just didn’t work at all, not to mention it was too small despite cutting it to my measurements. The difference between the drawing and what you actually end up making is quite huge, and don’t we all wish we looked more like the drawing. Not only is the neckline unflattering and just plain weird, the skirt is disappointingly un-poofy, even with a crinoline underneath. I can only imagine that the patternmakers at Butterick looked at the vintage drawing and then didn’t get it right at all.
|Avi agrees. “That looks stupid, Lauren, fix it, you noob”
Plan B. I ripped the bodice off the skirt and threw it away. I figured I could keep the skirt for the re-make. I used a simple bodice pattern I draped last December. Here it is:
|Simples. Back piece and front, three darts.
Originally this bodice, plus sleeves, was used on the gold brocade Christmas dress, but it’s such a nice, simple block that it can be easily adapted for many different styles just by cutting the neckline into different shapes. For this summer dress, I scooped the back more, and made a little “V” cut at the front.
|Same bodice, but with sleeves.
|The back, nice big scoop. It’s summer, afterall.
The bodice is lined in a stability+modesty layer of unbleached muslin. The skirt is unlined, and I’m still not gleeful about its un-puff-itude, but I’ll wait until I have the hem in for the final verdict. Simple dress though it may be, I’m thinking of adding a big white sash, or a white belt with a bow, maybe white bows at the shoulders. More to come…
|Here’s the progress. That bow is just stuck on there – exploring waist finishing options.