|They ain’t pretty, but they seem to get the job done…
I’ve finally finished something! I’ve been experimenting with Regency stays for a bit, trying out different designs, and I think I’ve got the silhouette I want.
Some time ago we talked about Regency boobs, and how high and mighty they were (and how hard to achieve). In my experiments, I found these things to be true (for me anyway):
- Cording or boning beneath the bust cups will help keep the bust in place
- A busk will help raise and separate the bust, but needs to be long enough – that is, just some boning in the front edges of very short stays won’t work – the busk needs to extend down the front of the body. The 9 inch paint-stirring sticks from Home Depot are a good length (or longer, for long stays).
- Using a drawstring to pull in the top of the bust cups will also control the oomph of the bust, as well as the line of the stays under the gown.
|Drawstring bust cups
Regency stays are strategic, a departure from earlier varieties that sortof just pushed and pulled the body into position. They’re not laced tightly, because the aim was not to reduce the waist.
|Laced in back.
I’ve made mine waist length, laced in back – this is so the front busk can work effectively.
The other particulars:
- Cotton muslin lined in cotton osnaburg
- Corded with hemp, and zip ties for the CF and CB closure
- Hand bound eyelets in back (my first, yay!)
- Bound in self bias.