Yesterday I acquired my trim, 8 yards of stiff, shiny, blingy silver goodness, about 2″ wide…but unfortunately blisteringly, blindingly blingy.
Too much bling – baroque though it may be, even the ladies of the 17th century would shade their eyes to this trim. So why did I choose it? Reason #1 – they had a large assortment of silver trims, but all of them were this sort of shiney, so I picked the best, most workable one. Reason #2 – $1.60/yard. I looked up metallic lace last night, just to see what I’d missed, and found it to be well over $10/yard (or that might have been in feet!), which for the amount of trim I want caked on this gown, would have blown my $75 budget. Reason #3 – I knew it could be changed…with RIT.
Back when I was fiddling with The Hair of Great Enormity, I added extensions to the bottom of the brown wig, which looked great except for the fact that they were blonde. I researched dying synthetic hair, and found that one could not dye it, but stain it, using good old-fashioned fabric dye, RIT. It worked wonderfully, and so I’ve used the same method on this plasti-bling trim, just enough to knock the shine off a bit.
I could not be happier with the result! The trim stained to a slightly darker silver, closer in color to the gunmetal satin fabric. It looks fantastic against the fabric – still blingy, but less POW. I am considering doing some beading on the trims, so this is the perfect “canvas” for it, to add on small pearls, jet beads maybe.
More pics to follow as this projects starts to get interesting!