They ain’t pretty, but they seem to get the job done…
I’ve finally finished something! I’ve been experimenting with Regency stays for a bit, trying out different designs, and I think I’ve got the silhouette I want.
Some time ago we talked about Regency boobs, and how high and mighty they were (and how hard to achieve). In my experiments, I found these things to be true (for me anyway):
Cording or boning beneath the bust cups will help keep the bust in place
A busk will help raise and separate the bust, but needs to be long enough – that is, just some boning in the front edges of very short stays won’t work – the busk needs to extend down the front of the body. The 9 inch paint-stirring sticks from Home Depot are a good length (or longer, for long stays).
Using a drawstring to pull in the top of the bust cups will also control the oomph of the bust, as well as the line of the stays under the gown.
Drawstring bust cups
Regency stays are strategic, a departure from earlier varieties that sortof just pushed and pulled the body into position. They’re not laced tightly, because the aim was not to reduce the waist.
Laced in back.
I’ve made mine waist length, laced in back – this is so the front busk can work effectively.
The other particulars:
Cotton muslin lined in cotton osnaburg
Corded with hemp, and zip ties for the CF and CB closure