Last week I wore my new 1785 Pierrot jacket in our most recent photo shoot for Dunmore 18th century shoes.
I'm proud of this outfit for several reasons, not least of all because it is the first entirely hand sewn ensemble I've ever made! I'm not a big stickler for hand-sewing, but I genuinely found it easier to construct the jacket and petticoat by hand, with the ability to control thread tension on the silk petticoat, and finagle the delicate fiddly bits on the jacket much more easily than if it had been done on the machine. I learned a variety of historic stitches and fine-tuned a few techniques that are actually quicker to do by hand than the modern method!
|This is the first bodice I've made that closes with pins. I'm still getting the hang of it!|
I had the most trouble with the sleeves, of course, which had to be pieced at the top to make a deeper sleeve cap. It was fiddly business, and they're not perfect, but they're on there and I can move my arms, so yay!
The petticoat is changeable silk taffeta with a van dyke hem. This petti is meant to replace an earlier one of a similar color that was too short and not quite right in construction. I'm wishing now that I had made it even longer - more ankle length - but it's way better than what I had before, so I'm happy.
|One of the motifs from the destroyed apron appliqued onto the new one. This was tedious, but covered the gaping hole.|
|Thrifted straw hat trimmed in taffeta bows, buckle, and feathers. Very easy!|
It feels so good to complete this whole look. The jacket was in the UFO pile for nearly a year, but now it's done and I can wear it to Williamsburg in June, squee!